The Alzheimer’s Association, with local support from Buffalo County Community Partners’ Alzheimer’s & Dementia Coalition, is hosting the 2015 Dementia Safety Conference Friday, May 1, from 7:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church.
The conference will provide a unique learning experience that’s designed to accommodate family caregivers, healthcare professionals, and students. Topics and other points of interest include:
- “An Examination of Safety Considerations.” Featuring panel members: Kaiti George RD, LMNT, registered dietician at Hy-Vee; Clayton Freeman, programs director at the Alzheimer’s Association; Ryan Sothan, from the Nebraska Attorney General’s office; and pharmacist Amy Thompson PharmD, CGP, FASCP.
- “Driving and Dementia: Assessing Abilities and Enhancing Safety for Persons with Dementia,” presented by Beverly Reicks, president and CEO of the Nebraska Safety Council.
- “A Window into Their World,” a program to identify and understand the needs of people living with dementia.
- “Traveling with Dementia: An Interactive Study,” presented by the Alzheimer’s Association.
- And an afternoon session with Dr. Julie Masters, professor and chair of gerontology at UNO.
To register, click here or contact Susie Peterson at 308-520-3146 or by email. Registration for family caregivers is $25 before April 17 or $30 after. Registration for students is $20 before April 17 or $25 after. Registration for healthcare professionals is $75 before April 17 or $80 after. For healthcare professionals, this conference can be used to earn continuing education contact hours through Iowa Western Community College, Iowa Board of Nursing Provider #6.
Assisted living, long-term care, home health agencies, and companion care agency employees may be able to attend the workshop without paying a registration fee. The organization you are employed with may be able to cover the cost of your registration and other facility registrations through a grant program offered through the Nebraska Department of Labor. More information about this grant can be found at dol.nebraska.gov. The deadline to apply for the grant is March 31.
If you are interested in helping sponsor the event or securing an exhibitor booth, contact Susie Peterson before April 15.