What is Prediabetes?
Prediabetes is a serious health condition where blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not high enough yet to be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes. Hemoglobin A1c level of 5.7%-6.4% is indicative of pre-diabetes.
What are we all about?
Our mission is to improve access to resources through the development, use and awareness of a diabetes resource referral system in Central Nebraska.
Our vision is to promote healthy lifestyles by encouraging and facilitating self-management with support through the collaboration of prevention and disease management programs that empower community members to control and maintain their diabetes and pre-diabetes.
- Increase the number of primary care provider referrals to local resource programs, such as, the YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program and Living Well.
- Increase the number of community members aware of the local resources available in the community through the website, marketing promotions, and worksite fairs.
- Implementing worksite mini-diabetes fairs to reach employees with information on local resources.
- Utilizing Provider Champions to create awareness of coalition efforts and local resources to other primary care providers.
- Building relationships with primary care provider through academic detailing and lunch and learn strategies to provide information on local resources available to assist patients with prediabetes and diabetes.
- Updating the Diabetes Resource website with information on all of the local resources available.
- In 2012, only 51.7% of Buffalo County adults had been tested for high blood sugar or diabetes within the past three years.
- 1 in 3 adults has prediabetes; yet 90% do not know they have it.
- Without making lifestyle changes, 15-30% of people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years.
- Only 67.6% of Nebraska adults with diabetes have taken a Diabetes Self-Management Course.
Diabetes Prevention Program Success
Click below to see how a local resident found success with the Diabetes Prevention Program.
For more information, or for any questions, please fill out the form below.