Latest News and Resources
Buffalo County Community Partners purchased Eversound devices for 14 Long Term Care homes and Assisted Living facilities in Buffalo County to break down barriers faced by socially isolated seniors. Funding for this project was provided by the Nebraska Department of...
We are so grateful for the wonderful turnout of volunteers and donors who helped serve over 2,000 individuals for Thanksgiving. #KearneyGives Rebecca Allen Wayne and Kathryn Gappa Spencer and Sarah Kuhl The Smalls Gary Anderson Ken and Mary George Lea Lawn Gary and...
The HealthyMINDS coalition hosted another virtual mental wellness chat featuring community experts who discussed alcohol on the rise through Covid-19. You can find the video chat on the Buffalo Community Partners Facebook Page and can also be re-watched here....
The City of Kearney has created a direct email address for all inquiries related to COVID-19, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org a website for city updates: Click Here for Website
Test Nebraska: Test Nebraska
TestNebraska is an initiative in partnership with our state leaders and private corporations. See their website or call 402-207-9377 for most updated information on testing sites and availability.
Hy-Vee Pharmacy: https://www.doineedacovid19test.com/
The COVID-19 tests and test results are coordinated by eTrueNorth. The tests are free and are administered via
a Hy-Vee pharmacy drive-thru testing process. Individuals do not need to exhibit COVID-19 symptoms to be
tested, but they must register online to receive a test voucher number, testing site and appointment time.
State Hotline for COVID-19 Information: (402) 552-6645
8AM – 8PM CST – 7 Days a Week
Nebraska Health and Human Services: Find health directives and info for Nebraskans: dhhs.ne.gov
Statewide COVID-19 Resources: Ne Children and Families Foundation
Health Care Resources
- CHI Coronavirus online resource/hotline:
- Resource Hotline: 1-844-355-2273
- Address: 211 W 33 rd Street, Kearney, NE 68845
- Local Clinic Phone: 308-865-2141
- Kearney Regional
- Phone: (308) 455-3600
- NE Children’s Physicians Clinic – Kearney
- Address: 211 W 33rd Street, Kearney, NE 68845
- Phone: 308-234-5613
- NE Total Care (managed care contractor for Medicaid), community and medical resource for their clients. Contact for information on rewards or benefits
- Wellcare Nebraska (managed care contractor for Medicaid), community and medical resource for their clients. Contact for information on rewards or benefits
- Kelsey Isom: 1-845-453-4373
- Mindy Spray: 1-402-216-2315
- Nurse Line: 800-919-8807
- United Healthcare (managed care Medicaid provider for NE)
We encourage parents to check their childrens local school website for updated guidelines and restrictions for reopening:
Kearney Public Schools: https://www.kearneypublicschools.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1787288&type=d&pREC_ID=1961816
Shelton Public Schools: https://www.sheltonbulldogs.com/main/
Gibbon Public Schools: https://core-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/asset/uploaded_file/832570/COVID_Plan_2020.pdf
Amherst Public Schools: https://amherstbroncos.org/
Pleasanton Public Schools: https://pleasantonbulldogs.org/
Ravenna Public Schools: https://www.ravennabluejays.org/district/return-to-school-plan
Elm Creek Public Schools: https://sites.google.com/elmcreekschools.org/ecbuffs/district
Mask Picture Book For Young Children: Click here for book. Help young children understand why people are wearing masks.
Supporting Your Child as they get ready to go to school: Click here for resources
Social Emotional Learning Resources: During these stressful times for students, families, and educators Second Step has put together a list of resources you can use to help young people learn the social-emotional skills they need to get through these challenging events: Click Here to view resource list
Click Here For: How to Support Your Child Through COVID-19
Free Audible For Kids
Audible by Amazon is offering kid stories for FREE to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet for as long as schools are closed: https://stories.audible.com/discovery
Free Internet Access
The city has designated places with free wireless connection. The Kearney public library is also reopening which has access to internet and devices. Click here to find info
Free Online Education Resources
Check this website for a list of free online learning resources for children: https://www.militaryonesource.mil/family-relationships/family-life/preparing-your-family-for-emergencies/online-learning-resources-while-schools-are-closed
Virtual Museum Tours
12 famous museums are offering virtual tours for free: www.travelandleisure.com/attractions
Kearney Public School Family Resoures
Free Education Websites for Kids Pre K – 6 grade
Click Link for Free Educational Websites
**NEW** Christmas Meal
For the past 48 years, the First United Methodist Church of Kearney, Nebraska has served a community Christmas meal. This year, they are partnering with Hot Meals USA and various local nonprofits to expand this meal’s reach and make sure our community receives a FREE Community Christmas Dinner in the Kearney area. If you would like to volunteer: www.signupgenius.com/go/60b084daeaa29a0ff2-christmas or donate: www.paypal.me/kfumcne for the Christmas Meal, check out these links.
Food Box Distribution November and December
We need help supporting the local pantries in Buffalo County. If you would like to help with the Farmers to Families food box packing/distribution check our link for updated times and dates: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d48ada82ca2fec43-food
- Short Time Compensation, program helps prevent layoffs by allowing employers to uniformly reduce affected employees’ hours by 10 to 60 percent while permitting the employees to receive a prorated unemployment benefit: Please see the government website for updated information: https://dol.nebraska.gov/stc
- Small Business Admin: Small business less than 500 employees can apply for a payroll protection loan: https://www.sba.gov/page/coronavirus-covid-19-small-business-guidance-loan-resources
- Unemployment Insurance:NEworks.nebraska.gov You can access the site through your computer or mobile device, or download the NEworks App. For Unemployment Insurance questions you can email NDOL.NICHelp@nebraska.gov and include your contact information. A chat function is also available on NEworks site
- Internet Services Fact Sheet: Internet Providers Updated 8/10/20_
- Local Business Resources *New Guidelines for Reopening Businesses: Kearney Area Chamber of Commerce
- Frequently Asked Questions: Employee Benefits and other business topics. HUB Document Link
- Free Legal Help For Nebraskas: Nebraskans who have questions or are experiencing legal problems due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 public health emergency now have an easy way to get legal advice and help. Caller
s will be connected to the Hotline voicemail. Callers should leave their name, phone number, brief details of the problem and the assistance needed, and in what county they are located. Callers will receive a call back from experienced Legal Aid staff.
Food. Transportation. Housing
Local Pantry and other Food Updates
Food Pantries in Kearney
East Lawn Ministries
Contact: Pete Ludowese, Manager (308) 293-0100
Hours: 4pm – 6pm, Tuesday-Thursday
Address: East Lawn Trailer Court-2900 Grand Avenue #342 Kearney NE, 68847
Services: Offers help with food and clothing
Faith United Methodist Church Pantry
Contact: (308) 237-2550
Hours: Call to set up an appointment to receive food assistance
Address: 1623 Central Avenue Kearney NE 68847
Services: Offers emergency food bags
Helping Hands Ministry
Contact: Mary Lyons, Program Director (308) 627-4859
Hours: 2pm-4pm 2nd Sunday of each month. If food is needed during rest of the month, please call
Address: 1724 1st Avenue, Kearney NE 68847
Services: Food pantry available for those requiring emergency food assistance
Hope Evangelical Free Church
|Contact: (308) 234-4673
Hours: 9am –5pm Monday – FridayAddress: 907 C Avenue Kearney NE 68847Services: Offers emergency food assistanceEligibility: Open for attendees of Hope church
Kearney- Community Action Partnership
Contact: (308) 865-5675
Hours: 8am-5pm Monday through Friday, Closed Saturday and Sunday
Address: 16 West 11th Street Kearney NE 68847
Services: Provide emergency CSFP food packages to seniors, food bank mobile/curbside distributions, WIC assistance to families, emergency rental/utility assistance, community health worker outreach to minority populations
Eligibility: Call for more information
Kearney eFree Storehouse
Contact: Justine Tschetter, Program Director (308) 455-3302
Hours: By Appointment-Monday, 1:30pm-5:30pm-Tuesday, 9am-12pm-Wednesday, 1:30pm-5:30pm-Thursday, By Appointment-Friday or Please complete this form: https://form.jotform.com/50354374495157
Services: Offers help with food, toiletries and clothing
Address: 4010 7th Avenue Kearney NE 68845-located on North side of the church
Kearney Jubilee Center: Thrift Store & Food Pantry
Contact: Cheri Clark, Executive Director (308) 234-3880
Hours: 1pm-5pm Monday, Wednesday, Friday. 9am-1pm Tuesday. 10am-2pm Saturday. Closed Thursday & Sunday
Address: 1920 Central Avenue, Kearney NE 68847
Kearney Seventh Day Adventist Church: Food Pantry
Contact: Greg Bullion, (402) 575-0790
Address: 3312 B Avenue, Kearney NE 68847
Services: Free food pantry available for those requiring food assistance
Prince of Peace Food Pantry
Contact: Mike Labum, (308) 224-1694
Hours: 2pm -4:30pm Monday and Thursday
Address: 2407 West 56th Street, Kearney NE 68845
Services: Food pantry available for those requiring food assistance
The Salvation Army- Kearney NE
Contact: Lisa Lieth, Case Manager (308) 236-5812
Hours: 10am-5pm Monday-Saturday
Address: 1719 Central Avenue Kearney NE 68847
Services: Food pantry available for those requiring food assistance.
Farm to Families boxes on Thursdays 2-4pm or until supplies are gone (Enter the alley from 17th St.)
Kearney Little Free Pantries
Contact: Shannan Kramer or Erin Davis, (308) 237-2550
Hours: Accessible to anyone 24 hours a day
Address: 1st location- 1623 Central Avenue on a pole on north east side of Faith United Methodist Church
2nd location- 110 West 24th Street located beside 24 Hour Tees
3rd location- 1923 Central Avenue located in front of Sayler Screenprinting
Services: Free food, clothing, and household products available in a small unlocked cupboard
UNK Big Blue Cupboard
Contact: Luis Olivas, (308) 865-8127
Hours: 7am-7pm Mondays through Friday. 11:30am-7pm Saturday and Sunday
Address: 1013 West 27th Street at University of Kearney Nebraska Student Union in the Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion
Services: Provide food and hygiene items to students or employees for the items of their choosing
Eligibility: Open to UNK students and employees needing food support. Community members in need may also utilize the pantry by making an appointment
Peterson Senior Activity Center – sponsored by Community Action Partnership of Mid NE, City of Kearney and South Central Area Agency on Aging
- Monday through Friday, curbside meal pickup, starting Monday, June 8
- 24-hour advance reservations required by calling (308) 233-3278
- Adults age 60 and over, there is a suggested donation of $4.50 per meal
- Adults under 60 years of age, a payment of $6.00 per meal is required
- Accepting checks and cash (exact amount) and pre-paid punch cards
- Meals may be reserved by the day, week or month
Kearney Meals on Wheels – sponsored by Kearney Housing Agency (KHA)
- Monday through Friday, meals delivered to home bound
- Call to determine meal qualifications (308) 234-3000
- Cost – $5.77 per meal, accepting checks and cash
- There may be financial assistance for home delivered meals, or if you are home bound and need meals delivered, please contact South Central Nebraska Area Agency on Aging by calling (308) 234-1851 to discuss options; regardless of age. Or contact your assigned DHHS case worker.
Rural Community Resources
- Gibbon Little Free Pantry Accessible 24 hrs./day — 705 Court St. Gibbon, NE 68840, (308) 468-5323
- Food Pantry – Gibbon Faith United Church : Hours: Tuesdays & Thursdays: 6:30pm – 8pm, Head Start Basement 1021 First St. Gibbon. Contact: Pastor Mike, (308) 468-5521. Address:1021 First Street Gibbon NE 68840 Located in the Head Start basement
- Ravenna Love in Action Food Pantry: Hours: Tuesday-Friday: 9:30am-3:30pm—502 Grand Ave Ravenna, NE 68869 Contact: Marty Russel, Program Director,(308)452-4361. Address: 502 Grand Avenue Ravenna NE 68869.
- Ravenna Senior Center – take- out meals and home delivery for individuals 60 or a spouse of someone who is eligible. Contact Roberta at 308-452-3105. Reservations need 24 hours in advance. Meal service is Monday –Friday and the suggested contribution is $5.50 and for under 60 (ineligible) $7.00.
- Shelton United Methodist Church Food Pantry: Hours: 8am-1pm Tuesday through Friday and 5:30pm-7pm Tuesday. Closed Monday, Saturday, Sunday. Contact: Pastor Carla (308) 230-0822 or Amanda (308) 647-6741. Address: 207 A Street Shelton NE 68876. Services: Food available for those requiring food assistance.
Contact your local school district for information if you live in Elm Creek or Pleasanton.
Mail Order Meals
Home Style Direct www.homestyledirect.com
- Order meals delivered to your door, direct pay or Medicaid eligible
Mom’s Meals www.momsmeals.com
- Order meals delivered to your door, direct pay or Medicaid/Medicare eligible. Financial assistance for meals may be available by calling South Central Area Agency on Aging (308) 234-1851
Financial assistance for meals may be available by calling South Central Area Agency on Aging (308) 234-1851
- Kearney Farmers Market – Saturday 8am – 1pm, Wednesday 2pm-6pm; located at Kearney Hilltop Mall Parking lot
- Senior vouchers available for Farmer’s Market produce, contact Sue Hutsell, South Central Area Agency on Aging (308) 234-1851
- Shelton Farmers Market – 5pm-7pm every Wednesday evening at Shelton Park Pavilion.
- If you are unable to find a meal program that fits your individual or family need, please contact Erin Davis (308) 234-1851 at South Central Area Agency on Aging to see if you qualify for other food assistance programs in the community. If you are home bound and need a meal delivered to your home, contact Erin (308) 234-1851 to be connected with a Helping Hands volunteer.
Emergency Food Assistance Program for people with Cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis: Team Rubicon — Emergency Food Assistance Program
Local Grocery Store Shopping Hours
Local Food Updates:
Community Action Partnership of Mid Nebraska has created a list of local organizations, what they are providing, and who to contact. Visit their site for the full list: http://communityactionmidne.com/agency-and-community-updates-covid-19-pandemic-2020/
The Buffalo County Emergency Housing Task Force was formed to pull together a housing resource website to assist residents in learning about shelters and housing assistance programs in our community. They are meeting weekly to discuss housing priorities in order to identify unmet needs among shelters and housing assistance programs. Those interested in joining the Buffalo County Emergency Housing Task Force can contact Wanda Fedorchik, at email@example.com for information on the next meeting.
Your community is working together to offer tools to rebuild a housing foundation for those displaced due to COVID19 which brings us challenges and will take partnerships across the community.
At the state level;
- Governor Ricketts has shared the state will provide lodging for health care workers, first responders, correctional officers and others on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic who don’t want to go home and risk exposing their families or picking up the virus from the community. People interested in the option should contact their employer or call 833-220-0018. The phone line will be staffed 24 hours a day.
At the county level;
- The Kearney Housing Agency launched a housing resource website to assist residents in learning about housing programs in our community. To access this information log on at http://www.kearneyhousingagency.com/covid19/. Resources are also available in Spanish. An on-line form is available to assist the task force in better understanding the housing needs of our community, and offer their knowledge of resources. To access the form visit the bottom of the page in the above link.
- Persons who are homeless after hours and weekends are to contact law enforcement at (308) 237-2104 to determine if they would be qualify for one night of lodging supported by vouchers from the Salvation Army. A wonderful partnership between law enforcement and the Salvation Army and SAFE Center.
- Buffalo County Emergency Shelters
- Crossroads Shelter: 1404 E 39th Street Kearney, NE 68847, (308)236-5688
- SAFE Center: (for individuals of domestic violence or sexual assault), 620 E 25th St, #14 Kearney, NE 68847, (308)237-2599
- Other Temporary Housing Assistance Programs: It is important that you call ahead to learn about these different housing programs. Presenting information to these organizations on the conversation between you and your landlord will be very helpful in understanding your long-term housing plan.
- The Salvation Army, 1719 Central Avenue, Kearney, (308)234-9998
- Jubilee Center, 2523 Avenue A, Kearney, (308)234-3880
- Community Action Partnership of Mid Nebraska, 16 W 11th Street, Kearney, NE 68848, (308)865-5680. To view Community Action Partnership’s Housing List: http://www.kearneyhousingagency.com/public/assets/CAPMNE-Housing-List.pdf
Some churches in the community are able to assist and work very closely with the above-mentioned housing assistance programs.