Hot Meals USA has provided a free hot lunch to Buffalo County residents during the Covid-19 pandemic; they are serving 1500 meals daily. Hot Meals USA will cease providing daily lunches as they are closing their food trailer after the last meal has been served on Saturday, June 6.
Hot Meals USA provided a much needed service, estimated to be more than 100,000 meals for the Kearney area. As local Covid-19 Directed Health Measures (DHM) change, organizations and people are coming together to keep supporting food insecurity needs starting June 8:
Peterson Senior Activity Center – sponsored by Community Action Partnership of Mid NE and City of Kearney and South Central Area Agency on Aging
- Monday through Friday, curbside meal pickup, starting Monday, June 8
- 24-hour advance reservations required by calling (308) 233-3278
- Adults age 60 and over, there is a suggested donation of $4.50 per meal
- Adults under 60 years of age, a payment of $6.00 per meal is required
- Accepting checks and cash (exact amount) and pre-paid punch cards
- Meals may be reserved by the day, week or month
Kearney Meals on Wheels – sponsored by Kearney Housing Agency (KHA)
- Monday through Friday, meals delivered to home bound
- Call to determine meal qualifications (308) 234-3000
- Cost – $5.77 per meal, accepting checks and cash
- There may be financial assistance for home delivered meals, or if you are home bound and need meals delivered, please contact South Central Nebraska Area Agency on Aging by calling (308) 234-1851 to discuss options; regardless of age. Or contact your assigned DHHS case worker.
Kearney Public Schools – Summer Lunch Program
- Serving “Grab and Go” Breakfast and Lunch from Bryant, Central and Emerson Elementary schools
- Monday through Friday from 11:00 to 12:30.
- Children must be present to receive the meals. If an adult with a child present wants to purchase meals, the cost will be $2.50 for breakfast and $3.50 for lunch for a total of $6.00.
- Accepting checks or cash for exact amount only.
Rural Community Resources
- School lunch program is serving free grab and go lunches Monday through Friday for children 1-18 years of age. Call the school kitchen at 308-826-3131 to request a meal.
- Gibbon school is providing meals Monday provide 2 meals, Wednesday 2 meals, Friday-1 meal until July 31st from 11:30am-12pm for Gibbon residents under 18 providing free lunches. Location at 1030 Court St Gibbon, NE 68840 (backside of the building)
- Gibbon Little Free Pantry Accessible 24 hrs./day — 705 Court St. Gibbon, NE 68840, (308) 468-5323
- Food Pantry – Gibbon Faith United Church Tuesdays & Thursdays: 6:30pm – 8pm, Head Start Basement 1021 First St. Gibbon. (308) 468-5521 Pastor Mike
- Ravenna Love in Action Food Pantry Tuesday-Friday: 9:30am-3:30pm—502 Grand Ave Ravenna, NE 68869, (308)452-4361
- School lunches for anyone 18 years old or younger at no cost till June 26. No family meals are offered. No breakfast or dinner meals at this time.
- Hot meals are picked up between 11:30 and noon at school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Bagged lunches for Tuesdays and Thursdays are given at the same time with their Monday and Wednesday lunches.
- To receive the free lunches, they have to contact Sue Bombeck, the head of the lunch program.
- The Shelton Methodist Church offers a backpack program during the school year.
- Food Pantry at the Shelton United Methodist Church Tues.-Fri. 8am-1pm, and Tuesday 5:30-7:00 pm. Located at 207 A St. Phone is (308) 230-0822 Pastor Carla or (308) 647-6741 Amanda
Contact your local school district for information if you live in Elm Creek or Pleasanton.
East Lawn Ministries Tuesdays & Thursdays 4pm-6pm — East Lawn Trailer Court 2900 Grand Ave #342 Kearney, NE 68847, Pete Ludowese, (308) 293-0100
Faith United Methodist Church Pantry – Currently Closed
Helping Hands 2-4pm Every 2nd Sunday of the month If you need food during the rest of the month (Call First) — 1724 1st Ave Kearney, NE 68847, (308) 627-4859 Mary Lyons
Hope Evangelical Free Church Mon.-Fri. 1-5pm located at 907 C Ave Kearney, (308)234-4673 Open for attendees of Hope church
Kearney eFree Storehouse By appointment only — 4010 7th Ave Kearney, NE 68845, (308) 455-3302, Justine Tschetter
Kearney Jubilee Center Monday: 1pm–5pm Tuesday: 9am–1pm Wednesday: 1pm–5pm Thursday: CLOSED Friday: 1pm-5pm Saturday: 10am-2pm — 2523 Ave A Kearney, NE 68847 (308) 234-3880, Cheri Clark (Jubilee Center will be moving soon, call for information)
Little Free Pantries Accessible 24hrs/day, 1623 Central Ave Kearney, NE 68847 (Behind Faith United Methodist Church) and110 W. 24th St. Kearney, NE 68847 (Behind 24 Hour Tees), (308)-237-2550 Erin Davis or Shannan Kramer
Prince of Peace Church – Currently Closed
The Salvation Army Thrift Store Building Monday-Saturday 10am-5pm– 1719 Central Ave Kearney, NE 68847, Lisa Lieth, (308) 236-5812
UNK Big Blue Cupboard Monday-Friday: 7am-7pm Saturday-Sunday: 11:30am-7pm — UNK Nebraska Student Union Office of Student Diversity & Inclusion 1013 W 27th St. Kearney, NE 68849, (308) 865-8127, open this summer for UNK Students.
Mail Order Meals
Home Style Direct www.homestyledirect.com
- Order meals delivered to your door, direct pay or Medicaid eligible
Mom’s Meals www.momsmeals.com
- Order meals delivered to your door, direct pay or Medicaid/Medicare eligible
Financial assistance for meals may be available by calling South Central Area Agency on Aging (308) 234-1851
- Kearney Farmers Market – Saturday 8am – 1pm, Wednesday, 2-6pm; located at Kearney Hilltop Mall Parking lot
- Senior vouchers available for Farmer’s Market produce, contact Sue Hutsell, South Central Area Agency on Aging (308) 234-1851
- Ravenna Farmers Market—Will open up June 5th. Open Fridays from 5-7 Downtown Area (in front of True Value Store) (308)430-5481
- If you are unable to find a meal program that fits your individual or family need, please contact Erin Davis (308) 234-1851 at South Central Area Agency on Aging to see if you qualify for other food assistance programs in the community. If you are home bound and need a meal delivered to your home, contact Erin (308) 234-1851 to be connected with a Helping Hands volunteer.
Local Funders and Food Assistance Partners are Buffalo County Churches, City of Kearney, Community Action Partnership of Mid Nebraska, Hot Meals USA, Jubilee Center, Kearney Housing Agency, Kearney Area Community Foundation, Kearney Public Schools, South Central Area Agency on Aging, Area Schools and Food Pantries, Buffalo County Community Response.