The HealthyMINDS Collaborative mental health work group is hosting a live event on May 2 at 10-11:30 a.m. via the Buffalo County Community Partners Facebook page.
The group HealthyMINDS of Buffalo County Community Partners mission is to ensure children, youth and families have access to a unified behavioral health system to enhance overall wellness. The group will also promote ‘staying connected while staying home’.
The virtual community gathering is open to the public.
The members of the HealthyMINDS group will be the panelists, representing multiple community organizations to answer question from the community and discuss available resources to enhance individual mental wellness.
HealthyMinds said the event is designed to provide hope to the community as everyone navigates through COVID-19 challenges.
During the Facebook live event, mental health providers will discuss the difference between expected behavioral responses to life stressors and what might be signs of mental illness.
HealthyMINDS said the event will address signs of depression, anxiety, fear vs. signs of mental illness. Common coping strategies and actionable techniques to promote resiliency will also be shared.
Community members are invited to submit questions prior to the event on this live link https://bcchp.org/covid-19-community-forum/. There will also be an opportunity for participants to ask questions in comments during the Facebook live event.
Panelists addressing questions and community resources include:
- Dr. Krista Fritson, UNK Psychology Department, Central NE LOSS team member
- Jason Sharp, youth advocate
- Beth Reynolds, Region 3 Behavioral Health Services
- Hayley Jelinek, South Central Nebraska Area Agency on Aging and Disability Resource Network, BSW Elder Care Coordinator/ADRC Supervisor
- Dr. Tina Christine L. Chasek, UNK Associate Professor Counseling Department, Insight Counseling and Recovery Therapist
- Pastor Michelle Carlson, First Lutheran Church
- Jessica Vickers, Center for Psychological Services
- Dr Kenton Schaffer, CHI Health Director of Kearney
- Renae Zimmer, Central NE LOSS team
- Janelle Brock, MSW, LICSW, Suicide Prevention Program, VA- Nebraska Western Iowa Healthcare System
- Kiphany Hof, LIMHP, Associate Director UNK Counseling Department
- Jason Owens, Kearney Public Schools, Counselor; McKenna’s Rae of Hope Foundation
- Chief Bryan Waugh, Kearney Police Department
- Sheriff Neil Miller, Buffalo County Sheriff’s Office